Wednesday 29 December 2010

Let's start at the beginning

It's lucky we don't choose our own names, isn't it? Otherwise this blog may have selected something for itself involving books and politics and croquet, say.

Instead, I got to choose its name, and haven't I hit upon a pretty one? That fairly dances off the tongue?

Despite what you may, quite legitimately, be thinking, I did actually think for a long time and quite hard about the name. And all that thinking did me no good other than to help me realise that all the catchy, relevant names have been taken. My best choice (prior to 'Rita and Margriet (at the Bureau)') was 'kettle9_1604movies_blah@blogspot.com'. Now that's catchy.

So here we are at 'Rita and Margriet (at the Bureau)' and I couldn't be happier. What seemed at first like a bit of a random and slightly weird moniker has become, since midnight last night when I thought of it, the only blog name I can imagine living with for the next several years.

If you were kind enough to join me at my last blog (the similarly ridiculously named 'The Dangerous Kettle'), you will no doubt be noting the extensive changes I have made, including and limited to my radical adoption of the Courier font in the heading. This change has been a major design step forward for me, and I eagerly anticipate similarly futuristic advancements as this blog gets underway.

So here we are at a new URL at the end of 2010; you rock big time for coming here. Here's to a great first year at the Bureau with Rita and Margriet, and to you.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, yes Kettle but what on earth does it all mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Ramon, it means I tried hard to find a name that was really very good but all my first choices were taken already and all my second and subsequent choices were really too naff to live with.

    So in a fit of pique on Tuesday night I thought, confound it all, people name their children all sorts of random names (including Boris - imagine) and are still able to bestow love on them, so why couldn't I just choose a name, any name, and call the blog that?

    So I started with 'Frankie' but that's a magazine, then I thought maybe 'Archie' but of course that's a comic, so Rita it was. But not just Rita; Rita and Margriet!

    Rita and Margriet. I loved them straight away. Add the Bureau (any bureau) and I suspect I may have come as close as possible to blog-name Nirvana.

    But then, name-beauty is in the eye of the beholder so my 'Rita and Margriet' may be your Boris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent name - the bureau sounds like a secret spy organisation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, MCL. I agree! In my new-year's-day-shiraz-haze I've been thinking just the same thing.

    I think Rita and Margriet may be leftist and/or extreme-leftist agents/journalists/burlesque dancers. Ooh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a 16yo customer called Peggy today.
    Imagine it, Mme Kettle!
    Here I was thinking that people called Peggy should have scarves round their heads, balance cigarettes on their bottom lips and have a passion for roller derbies.

    I quite like the name you've chosen.what a shame it's just a summer fling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurrah Ms CW! I was just thinking about you today, reminiscing over past posts. Good to hear from you.

    All Peggies do have scarves, balanced-cigarettes and a love for all things roller. Are you sure your Peggy today was actually a Peggy? She wasn't in fact a Suze?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, she was definitely a Peggy.
    She showed me her drivers license to prove it.

    I was itching to ask her whether her middle name was Sue.

    You never see any Ritas about any more, do you?
    Unforch Margriet just becomes Magritte in my mind.

    ReplyDelete